'94 Sprint 900 Struggles To Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony_C, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Tony_C

Tony_C New Member

Jul 14, 2017
    UK
    Hi there,

My '94 Sprint 900 is struggling to get started.
    I just put a brand new battery in it but it sounds like an asthmatic pensioner, wheezing and sputtering when the button is pressed.
    Then it coughs into life and rides perfectly.
    Any one got any ideas where I should be looking next?
    TC

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Tony, can I suggest that before you do anything else with your bike, you put the battery on charge for at least 3hrs ?

I know it's a new battery, but as part of a process of elimination we need to ensure it's not just weak volts.

Come back if the problem remains after charging.

It's not at all unknown for new batteries that have been on a shelf for a while to need charging before installation. With every new battery I install, they are always given a damn good charge.

PS In addition to the charging, while the battery is being "boosted" it would be a good time to check all the fat cable earths for corrosion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I had the valve shims checked and reset at 48,000 miles which improved starting (and general running) no end.
    As thebiglad says, you do need a fit battery on these bikes.
    Also, is the choke working okay and do you use the 'prime' position on the petrol tap after the bike has been stood for a few days? It can take a fair few turns of the engine to get fuel through if it has been stood a while.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. NorwegianSprint900

NorwegianSprint900 New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Norway
    I had the same problem with my 96 Sprint. It turned out to be 6 valve shims out of spec and one bad coil.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    agree with the above, sounds fuel related, blocked fuel filter and/or air filter too, wrong or old plugs,maybe fouled up

6. Tony_C

Tony_C New Member

Jul 14, 2017
    UK
    I have cleaned the main lead down to the alternator, but cannot find any other earth points?
    Brand new battery sits at about 12.8v and straight off fully charged does make a slight difference, but at any point it can start coughing and wheezing. Will have to get the valve shims checked.

7. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    #7 adethetrade, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Hi Tony check that the "petcock" is working properly they have a tendency to play up mine used too do similar put another one on works fine, even though you can twist it it may not be twisting inside.?

8. Tony_C

Tony_C New Member

Jul 14, 2017
    UK
    That could be it...
    After a chat with a mechanic explained it could be over fueling and how that can cause compression issues. I just took the plugs out and spun it over and there is no slowness, or struggling, in the engine.
    The petcock does turn very easily...
    TC

9. Tony_C

Tony_C New Member

Jul 14, 2017
    UK
    @adethetrade replacing the whole petcock is a little expensive, £65 from Wemoto, whereas refurb kits for the same can be picked up for about £24.
    But do you know if the refurb kit will fix this problem? No point spending out on one if I then have to buy a full replacement.
    Cheers TC

10. adethetrade

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    Hi Tony, It depends if the prongs are broke on the part that turns if they are the the kit is no good got mine from Ivan at wolverhampton triumph parts He knows is stuff.

11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    if you mean the knob that turns the petcock on there are plastic or alloy ones made by sprintmfg which are much better or there is the old fix of araldite to fill the reverse of the old one.

12. adethetrade

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    No not the plastic Knob it's the metal part inside

13. adethetrade

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    Take the plastic off then remove the two end screws which let's the part come out. normally the prongs have broken due too the petcock being seized and people force this round.