2nd Bike

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyb57, Oct 27, 2017.

1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I love my Daytona, makes me smile when I open the garage and when I ride. I'm in the lucky position of being able to buy another bike.... but the problem, nice though it is, is what I could buy.
    What do I want it for? Slower A roads, B roads and back roads between villages. Just bimbling around for an hour or 2 when the mood takes me. So something around 600cc, 160kgs, with strong low and midrange response, great handling. I'm happy to take on a project, but would want something rideable from the off that I could clean up and modify over the years. No basket cases/barn finds.
    What am I looking at? Well, I'm a bike tart, love them all. As somebody's profile here has it, that one, no that one, oooh that one...........Budget around £5500. Three very different thoughts at the moment - late 60s T100R/Daytona, Street Triple (I realise it's way more bike than I need/want but......), or a KTM 690/CCM 644.
    What do you lot think?

2. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Yeah, think you're right about Street 3 (to clarify, I have 955 not 675 Daytona). Which Suzi or Yam do you mean? Not interested in Gladius, MT07 etc - just too beige if you know what I mean.

3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Ever thought of an M600 Ducati ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I like the CBR but a bimbler it ain't :)

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Mate of mine had one of them when I had my fazer 1000
    Swapped bikes one day out in the Lake District....very nice bike it was.....when we swapped back my bike felt huge and heavy like my old 1200 Bandit
    There's an idea...Bandit 600:p
    Gotta be plenty cheap ones about :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #6 thebiglad, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Have a look at a Yamaha MT-07 roadster. Cheap, fun, parallel twin, 75bhp and 180kgs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    I too have been he 955i as my sports choice and have a 2015 bonneville 865 for fun bimbling about. Both give the grin factor for different reasons. I also have an old Yamaha Diversion n for my winter hack. Feel i got all bases covered !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    A good Ducati monster will do the trick and they've become appreciating assets too.

9. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    going to need a bigger shed....................cheers for the suggestions.
    Anybody own a CCM? Are they as agricultural and self destructive as most reviews say??

10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Looks like a seed has been planted!

11. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon

12. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    CCM you mean? Not really, just thinking about options - don't plan to spend hours at a time on whatever I buy which opens up less practical possibilities :)

13. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Your budget would buy a very nice KTM 690 Supermoto. Bloomin ace round lanes, great acceleration to 85-90 and all round brilliant fun!

Mine is a great toy and keeps ahead of much larger machines due to light weight and great handling.

14. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Hmmm. So Supermoto rather than Duke?

15. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Never ridden a Duke so can't comment side by side.

16. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Has it got to be quick?

Was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago, I met him while having a bimble round the lanes of the Peak District on the Bonnie. He was in the cafe I stopped at for a cuppa and doing the same as me except he was riding a Royal Enfield Bullet 500.

It seems that he has Fireblade and a BMW 1200GS Adventure as well but uses the Enfield when he wants to remind himself why he loves bikes so much.

As he said, when anything over 60mph is a struggle you stop trying to go fast and start enjoying the ride.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 4
  17. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    :confounded::confounded:Prob not that useful a comment for you as it’s all Triumph but my two bikes suit me as I get different fun on both... I’ve a Bonneville Newchurch which I potter about on, 65mph tops and great on my country roads... just a flyscreen so keeps it mostly the way a Bonneville should be... and also a Tiger 800 XRX which I also potter about on but also have panniers /top box/ Madstad windscreen for longer distance and a bit of touring at higher motorway speeds... the Tiger is just the job for that whereas the Bonneville would struggle... I often take both bikes out the same afternoon and do the same route and enjoy both exactly the same amount for the differences they each offer... I guess to have 2 bikes you have to choose them for their very different characteristics in order to enjoy them both, I’m satisfied with my choices and pleased Triumph can keep me happy... hope this some use to someone on the forum

• Like Like x 1
  18. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Had crossed my mind, but possibly a bit to bimbly :). I should try one though.....

19. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    It's not going to be easy! Great problem to have though......

20. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    It's the same for but the solution is slightly different.

I have the Bonneville for bimbling about the country lanes and B roads on and I have a Honda NC750X DCT complete with luggage and touring screen for longer journeys.

My plan was to get a Tiger but then I found the Honda and having ridden the DCT, dual clutch flappy paddle gearbox, I was smitten and they are cheaper than the Tiger.