2nd bike for munching the miles? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hutchism, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Have had my Triumph Sprint RS for nearly a year now and love it to bits. Unfortunately it doesn't get the love it needs as I can't afford for it to be off the road (put off the valve clearances till this weekend and it's just hit 18,000!). Don't get me wrong, I do all the little things, but finding that I could really do with another bike.

I'm kind of thinking that a mile muncher might be in order and guess I can budget around £2000-£2500 (ideally less) when I get round to getting one.

Blackbirds seem to fetch quite a bit these days looking at £2500 for one with 50k miles. Thinking maybe a ZZR1200? Any other suggestions, thoughts?

Something with good mpg that won't mind doing long haul motorway stints. Looking to get the most bang for my buck, so whatever the sweet spot is in price/miles/all-round-goodness! :wink:

...think different or underrated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    The old ZZR 1200s are nice but heavy on fuel, if I were buying a no nonsense all rounder it would be the old air/oil cooled Suzuki Bandit 1200. Loads out there to choose from, the engine is just about indestructible. Paint and fixing quality give a clue to its 'budget' original price.
    I've had two and never been let down.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Good all rounder and mile muncher Yamaha FZS1000 fazer 2001 -2005 carb model .

Had one 8 years, a do it all bike, very quick, great bike when a few mods are done.

Build quality loads better than a bandit.

On the fazer owners forum, some owners bikes have covered 120k miles + and the engine still good.

Some very nice examples around for not much cash. I only sold my mint 05 reg because I wanted a speed triple and could not afford to keep two bikes. Wish I could have kept my fazer.

A very underated bike, and a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Highly recommended and a wealth of friendly help on the fazer forum

• Like Like x 3
  4. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    These days you can get a lot for your money as the guys above have mentioned. Bandits, FJR, Fazer all great bikes and kinder good on MPG. There's plenty of old Tigers around and I've seen them with over 200k

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    955 Sprint ST maybe they are rather cheap at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paulie

Paulie Member

Jan 4, 2014
    The Kawa ZZR 1200 was one of my (yearround bike) options too, before I bought a 2003 Daytona 955i. Untill I found some forum-info on the ZZR 1200's (from owners) that they are quiet expensive at servicing due to tiny inlet-valve oil lines. It seems these 1200's need valves checkup every 10000KM. service.

7. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm a few months away from getting one and to be honest, wondering whether it might be better to get something 'end of season'.

Was talking to my brother and friend about it in the pub the other night. They both argued that I've already got a great bike for munching the miles. Why don't I get something fun?!?

They do have a point. The 955 is great and I rarely have to do much more than 150 miles in a single stint. Shall play it by ear and keep my options over. Have always liked the option of a Bonneville, as I spent a year on an old Enfield in India and there kinda of the same ilk. The question there would be ....is the Bonneville fun?

Guess it all really depends on how I feel on the day I've got money burning a hole in my back pocket!

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Have a look at this on a 1997 900 Sprint with 2500 miles on for £2200 :eek:

TRIUMPH TRIDENT 900 cc Trident Sprint

It's like a brand new bike for £2200, If that isn't a good deal I din't know what is and these things are bulletproof

Cheers

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paulie

Paulie Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I totally agree with SteveJ on this! Those 900's T3 series are bulletproof & run & handle beautifully:upyeah: