2023 Bonneville T120 Questions

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by RickM46, Oct 13, 2023.

1. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Hello folks,
    I am a Triumph newbie and am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new 2023 Bonneville T120. I have owned many cycles over the years: 6 Hondas, 1 1971 Triumph Tiger, and a Harley Road King Classic. Stopped riding a 6 years ago and have now been bit by the bug.

Watched a lot of videos on the T120 but have a few questions:
    Any oil leaks?
    Suggestions on oil filters; seen adverts for K&N?
    Brand of synthetic oil suggestions?
    Is the gas tank rubber mounted? Tiger gas tank was hard mounted to frame and was a speaker/amplifier for engine noise.
    Any mechanical issues?
    Thanks, RickM46

2. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Crickets.
    Well, since I've picked up my Jet Black T120 on Monday, I am thoroughly impressed with build quality, fit, finish; no offense BUT it's like it was made in Japan. No issues right out of the box. My comparison is to my last triumph - 1971 Triumph Tiger a ways back.

No oil leaks (dry as a bone); no rattles; no sounds amplified by the tank; shifts are smooooth; engine runs smoooth; electronic systems are first rate; Michelin tires; at 3K, the dragon awakens; haven't really pushed it yet but get the feeling when I do hold on with both hands or kiss your arse goodbye.

Bought 3 Triumph oil filters and 4 quarts of oil from my dealer: 10W50 Castrol Power 1 synthetic for motorcycles $16 a quart (not to be found at the big W).
    So far so good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    It s a great bike (I have one, also bought new not long ago). Once run in you’ll find it surprisingly rapid if you want it to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Thanks LTF!!
    Glad this forum and fellas are.
    Prayers for your recovery.
    You mentioned run in; what miles/kilometers would that be?

5. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you, and straight from the manual…

During the first 500 miles (800 km):
    • Do not use full throttle;
    • Avoid high engine speeds at all times;
    • Avoid riding at one constant engine speed, whether fast or slow, for a long period of time;
    • Avoid aggressive starts, stops, and rapid accelerations, except in an emergency;
    • Do not ride at speeds greater than 3/4 of maximum speed.

From 500 to 1,000 miles (800 to 1,500km):
    • Engine speed can gradually be increased to the rev limit for short periods.

Both during and after running-in has been completed:
    • Do not overrev the engine when cold;
    • Do not let the lug the engine. Always downshift before the engine begins to 'struggle';
    • Do not ride with engine speeds unnecessarily high. Changing up a gear helps consumption, reduces noise and helps to protect the environment

6. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
  7. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #7 RevPaul, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    Its always best to start on the manufacturer’s website, not sure what the American site would be, but this web page is from the UK site and you can download Triumphs owners handbook for the American market here:-

Triumph Technical Information

Enjoy your T120 you won't be disappointed:).

• Like Like x 1
  8. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #8 RickM46, Oct 22, 2023
    Thanks RevPaul, will do.
    In the American manual - page 74, Breaking In.
    In the British manual - page 78, Running In.

9. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #9 RevPaul, Oct 22, 2023
    As I’ve said elsewhere, two nations divided by a common language;); personally I’d rather “run” an engine than “break” it:grinning:.

On the subject of Running In, YouTuber FortNine posted an excellent video on Breaking In a new bike a few years ago, well worth a watch, as are most of his videos.

I’m a little curious, since the bike’s new, surely it came with an Owners Handbook with all the other delivery paperwork and spare keys. In the UK the Triumph dealers go to a lot of trouble to make sure the new owner knows not only what a great bike you’ve bought, but how to best look after it. Or (at the risk of sounding rude) are you a typical male and switched off during the sales person’s delivery talk, and don’t read manuals because you just want to get on the bike and ride it;)?

As you’re discovering, modern Hinckley built Triumphs are excellent machines, they now have the necessary oil-tightness, reliability and build quality to go with the style, handling and performance they always had. And that engine note is glorious:cool:.

Enjoy your new ride:).

10. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #10 RickM46, Oct 22, 2023
    Yo, Rev, thanks for the info on FortNine and will give him a look.

Yes, two nations separated by a common language; have watched many English detective series like Endeavor and Midsommer Murders and listening to the dialog requires effort.

And to respond to your curiosity, I am quite anal about reading owners manuals on products I buy before using them. Made the deal on my T120 on a Saturday and downloaded and read the manual that night - just completely missed Run In. Picked up the bike on Monday and had it loaded into my Nissan Frontier pickup for the trip home; offloaded it on Tuesday into my garage. Went over the manual again on Monday night.

No, I am not a 'typical male and switched off during the sales person’s delivery talk, and don’t read manuals'. Informed the sales person (dealer manager) at the time of delivery that I had read the manual and quickly got on the road home (50 miles) seeing inclement weather approaching. This is not my first rodeo buying motorcycles: since 1966, I have owned 6 Hondas, 1 1971 Triumph Tiger, 1 Harley. I do my own inspection of a bike before delivery.

Have only put about 10 miles on it so far; threw my back out prepping the truck for delivery; will wait till back gets better and then head for the wild blue yonder. Even in that short ride, I can testify to the quality of the machine.

Oh and 1 last thing; noticed many inspector's blue paint dots on most of the components of the bike; reminiscent of inspectors yellow paint dots on Honda bikes; gives me a warm fuzzy.

IMG_0978.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Rev, excellent videos by FortNine; went thru a bunch and will go over more.

12. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Have one more question: I find the rear brake pedal positioned too far inboard and have to reposition my foot inward to press it; anybody know if there is a solution?

13. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I believe it’s possible to have your ankle surgically fused. ;)

14. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    LTF, exactly the smart a-- answer I expected.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @RickM46: There are some possibilities to find in after market shops to solve your pedal problem. They offer some additional plates to mount on the original break pedal. GOOGLE is your friend;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Yet another question: has anyone found a shop manual for the 2023 Bonneville T120? Googled and found nothing specific to my bike.