Tiger 1050 2012 se won't start

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Jonnpaul, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jonnpaul

Jonnpaul New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Chester
    Hi guys! New to the forum! Please help!! Tiger 1050 2012 se!! Bike won't start!! New battery only 1 week old! Turn the key and the diagnostic start does not happen,no whizzing sound of everything kicking in?? Please help!!

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Jon
    1) Check your battery connections.
    2) Check the battery is charged.
    3) If you have a spare battery, try that.
    At one week old it may be a duff battery or there may be a drain on the electrics somewhere.
    Do you have an alarm fitted ? They drain a bit of juice.
    Do you leave it on trickle charge ? That helps keep the battery constantly charged.
    1 week old though, my guess is your battery connections or a duff battery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonnpaul

Jonnpaul New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Chester
    Hi Mick! Thanks for yr answer!! 20 years of riding!! And motorbikes are my only transport and I mean every day for work!! What a plank I am... Are u ready for this.. I mean u will laugh yr head off!! School boy error and worst of all the wife noticed it when she got up coz she noticed I hadn't left for work at 5 am .. are u sure yr ready!!! Frigging kill switch.. What a tw@ I am!! Again thanks for yr reply and sorry for wasting yr time Mick!!

• Like Like x 5
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum - we've all done it. I spent almost 2 hours trying to kick start a Royal Enfield and guess what? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Jonnpaul

Jonnpaul New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Chester
    Thanks Steve.. it's nice not to b alone in this I can laugh about it now...

• Like Like x 2
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Well, I can't deny I had a little chuckle, but as Steve said we have all done it, I'm glad it was nothing more serious. Have a laugh at it yourself and buy your missus some flowers.
    When I got my 2012 Bonnie just over a year ago, I hadn't had a bike for 30 years so all the new fangled kill switches, side stand being up, clutch pulled in, alarms etc were all new to me.
    I collected my bike and took it to fill up with fuel.
    15 mins before I left the forecourt!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  8. Jonnpaul

Jonnpaul New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Chester
    Cheers dozer

9. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    You are not alone. My friend gets calls all the time saying my bike wont start. "have you tried the kill switch", asnwer he gets is "Its not that" then he hears a whirring sound over the phone "Oh its started now" !!!
    If you went around a bike meet and flicked the kill switch the AA would work overtime.

• Like Like x 1
  10. johnc

johnc New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    chester
    I used to ride in the 60s then had a long lay off and started again two years ago and i thought i should start on something small so got a 125 second time out and i parked it up then when i went to pull away it kept cutting out it wasn't till i had called the break down truck that someone noticed my side stand was down .we never had all this trickery last time I was riding .I am now know as side stand john

• Like Like x 1
  11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Did it myself the other week, tried to start the bike.............nothing, but experience kicked and not pannick, the glider pilot in me comes into play and methodically check everything from top to bottom, yes, some how the kill switch got knocked off!
    The other day I could not get the hooter to work, engine running, headlight on but it just dropped the light power, turned out I was pushing the STARTER BUTTON!!
    Mental note to self 'FFS Tel, wake up and ride the bloody thing and get to know it again!'
    Yep Johnc, we're all guilty as charged!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Hi Jp, and welcome. Pleased to hear you're all sorted, but, ahem, where's the pics of the bike? We do like pics.