1996 Sprint 900 cut out problem

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DaveMeach, Sep 26, 2014.

1. DaveMeach

DaveMeach New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Hello, I'm new to Triumph Forum but hope I can get some help here. I purchased a 1996 900 Sprint 2 months ago and have ridden over 1000 trouble free miles. Now though I am scratching my head. Bike starts on the button and off I set but after a mile or so the engine just cuts out! No coughing or spluttering it just dies as if the Kill switch has been pressed.As soon as the engine cuts the ignition lights come on. Press starter button and the engine turns over no problem but will not start. Leave it for 15 mins or so and it starts first touch of the starter button. Travel another mile or so and it cuts again! leave for 15 mins and it starts no problem! Plenty of petrol in the tank but don't think the problem is fuel related. I am not very technically minded so am at a loss as to what this problem is. Can anyone on this Forum offer some advice :frown:

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Sounds like like your bike is cutting out when it gets hot. First guess would be that your ignition pick up coil needs replacing. These work okay when cold but once they heat up they don't work until they cool down again.

Try that first and if that doesn't work then I'd look at your ignition coils.

Cheers

Steve

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    +1 deffo sounds like the pick up.it is a common fault and if the bike starts when it has cooled down and dies as soon as it is hot , this is the symptom. easy job and I think you can get from sprint mfg

• Like Like x 1
  4. DaveMeach

DaveMeach New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Thank you Steve and Dave. Will order one in the morning. Thanks for such a fast response
    Cheers Guys

5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Sprint manufacturing as below link :upyeah: (they are very good and usually a lot quicker than dealers although Jack Lilley are also very good.

http://www.triumphparts.co.uk/

6. DaveMeach

DaveMeach New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Thanks again Steve, I used the link and ordered the part so hopefully will be running properly Monday or Tuesday

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaveMeach

DaveMeach New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice. Fitted the new pick-up coil this morning in about 35 mins (easy job even for me!) Took the bike for a spin and all is well. Went about 8 or 9 miles without engine cutting out once! Once again thanks for the advice/.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    well done mate. Whats your thoughts on the bike,like it,hate it?? what about the handling etc, very interested to know