1994 Daytona 1200 Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Fastas1, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Fastas1

Fastas1 New Member

Apr 3, 2024
    Uxbridge
    Hi All,

I started a thread in the Daytona section but thought it probably best to have it in the correct area.

For quite a while I have been looking for a project but prices seem to have gone mad. During a drunken moment of madness and with some persuasion from the wife I bought a rough Daytona 1200 on eBay blindly. Bike has just under 18k in the clock and hasn’t been in the road in 10 years or so. It was also unknown if it ran.

well it’s here now, very dirty and the big strip has begun. I will be doing this slow time and not sure how deep the strip will be yet. The fairing and panels are now off and I’m going to attempt to see if she will spin over as soon as the new battery turns up tomorrow.

below are a few pics…eBay and the compact area in my garage.

if it spins freely then I’ll strip and clean the carbs etc then look at the starter and ignition system…..see if I can fire her up in the next few weeks.

IMG_6867.png

IMG_7043.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

IMG_7046.jpeg

IMG_7066.jpeg

IMG_7065.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Fastas1

Fastas1 New Member

Apr 3, 2024
    Uxbridge
    Well it’s totally dead no power nothing. Main fuse checked and intact, fully charged battery. I guess this may cause a few headaches as bike electrical stuff isn’t my thing.
    Any ideas before I go to town?

cheers
    Mike

3. Boothman

Boothman Noble Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Very first thing is check that you have a good earth connection from the battery to the frame. Then you need to get a wiring diagram and a meter and go through it methodically checking when and where you’ve got the power that you should.

4. Fastas1

Fastas1 New Member

Apr 3, 2024
    Uxbridge
    thanks, will do…..be a few days before I can but will do.

Mike

5. Fastas1

Fastas1 New Member

Apr 3, 2024
    Uxbridge
    Haynes wiring diagram is as much use as….

Airbox and carbs removed, the more I dig the more I regret

The wiring looks a mess with odd connectors not connecting to anything.

Airbox snorkels are both rubbish as are all the carb rubbers, rear shock is corroded and will need a swap too.

IMG_7077.jpeg

6. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    If that was mine, I`d use an airline & a clean paint brush to blow most of the crap off then spray back to black on it .let it soak in blast it again with air just to remove it so it look better. I hate working on grubby bikes & it makes you feel better when you clap eyes on it again as it dont look TOO bad:cool: Silicone spray all over afterwards will smarten it up no end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fastas1

Fastas1 New Member

Apr 3, 2024
    Uxbridge
    Plodding along with it, it’s turning into a real money pit
    Carbs rebuilt and sonic cleaned.
    Electrics sorted.
    Shock and linkages off, linkage was cracked and shock corroded badly.
    Back mudguard removed as badly chopped.
    Now found YSS shock I bought is missing the bottom linkage bushing and seal.
    Exhausts fell apart as I removed them, need to figure out how to remove the link pipes from the manifolds.
    Still lots of cleaning to do.
    I’ll sort the back end then move to the forks etc.

• Like Like x 3