1992 Triumph Trophy 900 problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Keith Inglis, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    Hi all I am new to the site so I am hopeing some of you can help me,
    I have just bought this bike as a project and it is in quite good nick with the exception on two things 1, the sprag clutch needs replacing which is on order,
    and 2, the main problem is it seems to miss with the odd spit back through the carbs on tick over and unstable on tick over and will stall after a while if the throttle is not tweeked a bit but as soon as you open the throttle it is on three cylinders and reves up nicely, I have replaced the ECU, plugs, and ignition sensor, but it is still the same,
    the carbs have been changed by the last owner but I was given the originals as well, the originals have 120 jets in and the replacement set have 130 jets with the same needles i9n both but on different grove settings (2 and 4) which is right ? and would would the carbs be causing the problem ?
    Oh and it has done 48000 miles,
    any help will be welcome :)
    Ride safe
    Keith

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #2 sprintdave, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    dont know if this link is any use to you,it is in french but translates automatically on my pc

http://www.triumph-t3-passion.info/moteur-triumph-t3.html

I am no mechanic,just wondered if there could there be an air leak at the carb rubbers,this would not help matters,try spraying wd40 on them and see if it makes any difference

you may find these useful too

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia2hex5rw70pip4/Triumph T300 Service Manual.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a67oymz7es51402/Triumph T300 Owners Handbook.pdf?dl=0

and I have not used them myself as yet but believe these guys are very helpful with carb parts

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/

Good luck with the bike. I have a Sprint and love it,I am sure you will sort it out.
    Take care
    Dave

3. noggin

noggin New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Southampton
    I feel your pain recently replaced the Sprag on my 1991 trophy 1200 take your time it is quite easy i think you have the cover over the top of the Sprag clutch and DO NOT drop any thing down into the crank case, the spindle that the sprag is mounted on get a length of fencing/coat hanger and slide in inside the spindle as you remove it. The bolts that hold the clutch on are a one use item DO NOT REUSE them get new ones (they will shear off when you touque them up) you may also need a windy gun to undo the clutch centre to remove it, the socket is a (on mine anyway) is 32mm so quit big.

Take your time it is easier than it looks.

Found this it may help

4. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    Thanks very much for the info Dave and Noggin the vid is very helpful, every bit of info helps, when the bits arrive I can get that problem out of the way,
    I checked the carb rubbers and they are ok, I still could not find the jet size or the needle goove setting in the info, perhaps I will give the carb people a ring and see if they can tell me,
    Thanks again guys :)
    Keith.

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Having watched the video several times I can't quite believe that a Triumph technical bulletin advises grinding out some of the casing, so that the new sprag clutch assembly will fit without catching????

Is there any possibility that the wrong part was fitted? It is after all quite a lot bigger?

Seems a bit monkey mechanics to me.

Dave

6. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    just for referance I have been on to Triumphs and the early Trophy 900 carb jet sizes are cyl 1 and 3 130 and number two cyl is 127.5 just in case others may have the same question
    Keith

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. noggin

noggin New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Southampton
    Yes the NEW improved sprag is bigger so some of the casing needs to be removed one way or another........

I was lucky i replaced mine with a "new" old one