1981 Tr7t Ignition Timing Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JonL, Oct 15, 2023.

1. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    Hi all
    I'm after a bit more help please with setting the ignition timing on my 1981 TR7T. Long story short, I recently needed to replace my RITA ignition system with a similar option supplied by AO services and have a couple of questions in getting the ignition timing correct. The supplied unit came with good instructions on how set the timing statically but I think these may be quite general (to get the bike started) as they differ from what's in the user manual I have. So I wanted to collect some thoughts from the experts on this forum.

The instructions that came with the new ignition unit say to set the timing so that the reluctor is 5mm before the pick-up when the timing is at the 'fully advanced' mark. It then says to check this with a strobe at 6500rpm
    The TR7T manual I have does not give any instructions for statically setting the timing for the TR7T (at least none that I can see!). It does give instructions for the TR65 but I think this is because it has points rather than electronic ignition. Can the TR7T only be set via a strobe or does anyone have instructions on how to set this statically?
    The workshop manual shows the TR7T reaches fully advanced at 3500rpm whereas the instructions with the new ignition systems says to check at 6500rpm (which is why I think it might be a generic reference) and as such I'm also not sure if setting the reluctor at 5mm before pick-up when on the fully advanced mark is also correct. Does the 5mm gap before the pick-up setting sound about right?

I also have two challenges with setting the timing via a strobe - firstly these bikes don't have a rev counter. I do have a cheap rpm tester - the type where you wrap a wire around the HT lead - it seems ok when testing on my son's bike but I get some very strange readings on the Triumph wouldn't really trust the accuracy of that. I think it might be to do with the 'wasted spark' scenario.
    And secondly, when I do connect my strobe and rev the engine, there seems to be a lot of oil thrown out the timing hole at anything above idle - which is making it very difficult to see the marks.... although remarkably comical to experience :eek:)

Can anyone help at all... many thanks in advance
    Jon

2. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    I always go for the VAPE system these days as there's a line that matches up - no guessing.
    The older Boyer system also has the magnets line up half a hole before the pick ups.
    Go for the 5mm as shown in the instructions, this should be close enough to start and will probably be ok when strobed.
    Drain down the primary and leave to drip for a while through the drain plug (it'll fill up again on it's own through the crank opening) and do the strobe test. Mark the rotor timing marks with some white paint.
    I shouldn't worry too much about the revs, you'll see the timing mark move towards the 38 BTDC pointer and then it wont go any further long before 6500 rpm. No real need for a rev counter (I never look at mine as I usually don't keep them on the builds).

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    Hiya - thanks for reply..... sounds so obvious when put like that :)
    I'm sure I'll be fine from here on.

thanks again

• Like Like x 1