1977 T140v Runs Rough

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Fred G, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Fred G

Fred G New Member

Jun 20, 2023
    07071 USA
    Looking for advise on my 1977 T140V starts easily but does not idle smoothly and around 1600 rpm If I try to lower the idle it stalls. Runs rough as if the choke is on and backfires when I let off the throttle. Please help Thanks

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    How long have you had the bike? Was it running fine before?
    It could be a number of things. Is the fuel fresh? If not drain and put fresh some E5 in the tank.
    Sticking choke/cable. Fuel blockage. Air lock. Blocked carb jets. Dirty air filter. Damp HT caps/ leads. Flooding. Just a few of the simple things first.

3. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fred G

Fred G New Member

Jun 20, 2023
    07071 USA
    The bike was restored by a friend of mine, original wiring harness, Pazon ignition, motor and trans disassembled and serviced, 6200 miles on the clock. Originally hard to start but a carb adjustment by him cleared that up.I've had the bike for 2 years and was running fine put another thousand miles on it and was leaking oil and blowing the main fuse. Brought it back to him but unfortunately he was stricken with cancer and passed last december. His partner agreed to get the bike back on the road, fixed the oil leaks and fuse issue. I've since adjusted the carbs and got it to run a little better but still backfiring and not idling smooth. the fuel is fresh air filters were off during testing. I know very little about carburetors only what I learned from watching them adjust mine.

5. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    hey whenever these have a bad idle, suspect a blocked idle circuit.

take the carbs off. remove the air mixture screw. inside is a metered orifice that controls the fuel delivery into the mixibg chamber under the venturi.

get a #78 drill bit--no larger. eBay has em in packets for cheap or go to a machinist supply house.

the bits are short. mix some epoxy and glue a bit into the end of one of those red plastic tubes that come with aerosol cans of brake cleaner or similar.

gently insert the bit into the hole under the idle air mixture screw and twirl it so it pulls the mung out do this several times to clear that hole the drill bit actually removes the deposits, while just poking in a wire or a guitar string forces the dirt into the mixing chamber.

spray carb cleaner into the air intake holes in the fron of the bell mouth. one of them leads to the mixing chamber and if all is well you will see cleaner squirting out of both holes in the floor of the venturi, back where the rear edge of the slide fits.

when that is clear, put the idle air muxture screw back in, all the way lightly to the bottom, then back out 1-1/2 turns. put the carb bac.

do this to the other carb.

it may not be the cause of your problem, but this is so common and so easy to correct that there is no point in doing anything else until youre sure the idle circuit is okay

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fred G

Fred G New Member

Jun 20, 2023
    07071 USA
    Thanks for the info bro I'll give it a go and let you know. Can't get to it for a couple of weeks but I'll put it on my list. Thanks again.