1973 Triumph Tiger - High Oil Pressure In In-frame Oil Tank

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Markus McMillin, Oct 5, 2024.

1. Markus McMillin

Markus McMillin New Member

Sep 21, 2024
    Marin County, California
    Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum, but hoping someone can assist me with my issue of high oil pressure inside the in-frame oil tank on my 1973 Triumph Tiger. I have replaced the oil pressure regulator, cleaned out the oil filter, blown out all the oil lines and the crank case breather, but I still have a significant oil pressure problem in the in-frame oil tank. The bike runs fine, but when I take off the oil filler cap, oil gushes out the oil tank filler hole. I'm at a loss to sort out why any pressure is not simply going out the crankcase breather. Has anyone run into this problem before and if so, what's the fix, please?

Many thanks,

Markus

2. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #2 speedrattle, Oct 13, 2024 at 1:48 AM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 7:25 PM
    sorry, just saw this.

im going to ask whether the oil tank is overfilled? if you top it up to just under the cap when its cold, the oil will expand and then spill out when you take the cap off. or is it actually blowing out under pressure?

the large diameter vent line from the breather fitting on the chaincase to the rear mudguard vents the crankcase through the drive side main bearing via the chaincase interior. the tank itself is vented by a smaller line that runs from a fitting on the spine tube under the tank, down the spine tube to a T in the big line that vents the crankcase.

if the big line from the breather fitting is plugged at the back end somewhere, then crankcase pressure can run up the little line under the tank and cause pulsing in the oil tank. perhaps that is what is happening?

triumhs dont wet-sump like nortons or BSAs, so excessive oil in the sump wont cause an overflow. the correct oil level on an OIF machine is high enough for you to get oil on your index finger when you stick it in the filler hole.

• Useful Useful x 1