1200 For 865 Engine Swap?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bill MacFarlane, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Bill MacFarlane

Dec 2, 2023
    Conder
    Anyone transplanted a 1200cc twin in place of an 865? Is it possible?
    I have an ‘09 Speedmaster and I’ve got the opportunity to buy a wrecked 2017 Bobber at the right price.
    The thought occurred to me to upgrade the Speedys engine.
    Anyone done it?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    You will need to change all manner of items and it will be expensive and time consuming, firstly you will need to modify the engine mounting points, and line up for the correct chain run, wiring loom, ECU, and fit all the required ancillaries such as the air box, sensors, etc etc, personally I would keep the bobber and modify it to what you want, unless it is a complete write off and designated not to be put back on the road (Cat B), although you can use all the parts, a Cat B should never be offered for sale as a complete machine. The bobber is a fantastic base machine for customising when using an insurance write off, it does not take much for assessors to write of a machine these days as new OEM parts are that expensive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    While it's true that throwing enough time and money at something can make it possible, I agree with Iceman.
    Not sure about the 865 but the 1200 twin is bigger in every dimension than the 900 cc unit so will it even fit in the frame? If it does then new mounts should be relatively simple to fabricate but that's the easy bit. Long gone are the days of relatively simple engines with carbs and basic ignition. Modern engines with all the associated wiring, electronics, sensors, ECU's etc offer much more potential for problems and can quickly turn such projects into money pits.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. tysonzach

tysonzach New Member

Mar 8, 2024
    USA
    Thanks for sharing these insights mate as I found it very much useful and informative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bill MacFarlane

Dec 2, 2023
    Conder
    Thanks Iceman...yes, agreed and thanks for taking the time to reply. The complication is beyond what my little workshop could handle.

• Like Like x 1